We are loving the leaves right now, and are making a point to enjoy them before they fall completely. We have seen noticeable leaf fall in the past few days due to some rain on Wednesday and overnight winds on Thursday. However, our colors seem to be holding on through the weekend. It actually paints a really lovely picture having the colors both on the ground and in the trees. The forecast for Saturday is calling for it to be beautiful and Sunday there is a small chance of rain. As always, inclement weather can cause leaf fall, so Saturday would be the day to go out and take in the leaves. We recommend going out early as the afternoon is going to be crowded. Please be aware that we are experiencing more crowding than usual and be respectful and thoughtful when out on the Parkway and the trails.
While on the Blue Ridge Parkway, there are rules and etiquette to follow.
- Do not stop your vehicle on the roadway. Anywhere, ever, but especially not on the Linn Cove Viaduct.
- You may pull off on the side of the road anywhere unless otherwise posted. All four tires must be off of the roadway, please do not stop with your vehicle half on the road.
- If you are going to be driving well below the speed limit, utilize the overlooks to pull off and allow faster traffic to pass. The Parkway is a scenic drive but is also used for commuting. In some instances it is the only way for locals to get from point A to point B.
- Please share the road, and be aware of cyclists and hikers while using the Parkway. Make sure to follow safe passing procedures as it is difficult to see around many of the curves on the Parkway.
- Please follow the 7 principles of Leave No Trace when on the trails and parking areas.