We asked some local kids and teens about their favorite summer things to do around Blowing Rock. Here’s what they told us!
- -Porter, age 5, said his favorite things are fishing at Broyhill Park, riding down the water slide at the [Robbins] Pool, and kayaking [at Price Lake].
- Harrison, age 10, spends a lot of time outside with his family. He likes to go river tubing and kayaking, and camping.
- Atlas, 6, likes to hike around Price Lake with his family and go to the Candy Barrel [at Mast Store in Boone].
- August is 3 and a half, and she likes to play in the Park [Memorial Park].
- Oliver, 10, says he usually goes to the playground in the [Memorial] Park or at the school for fun, and that the Glen Burney Trail is really fun with the family.
- Susanna, age 9 (almost 10), likes to go get ice cream and play on the school playground.
- Genevieve, age 7, says she loves Tweetsie!
- Knox, age 9, says skateboarding is his favorite. He also likes to go to the Pool and get ice cream and candy from Hatchet Jack’s [downstairs at Sunset Tees] on Main Street.
- Cylee, age 10 (and 3/4), visits family in Blowing Rock a lot. She likes watching candles being made at High Country Candles, getting fudge at Kilwins, and drinking hot chocolate and lattes from Camp Coffee.
- Ellie, 15, likes to spend time at Thunder Hill Overlook, get ice cream at Kilwins, and go to the Pool.
Parents of these children also mentioned beloved pastimes like playing with frisbees at Price Park Picnic Area, riding the kids’ zipline at Sky Valley Zip Tours, visiting the Fossil Museum at Doc’s Rocks, and picnicking in Memorial Park. And, of course, every parent was sure their kid would say Tweetsie Railroad!
Many of the favorite kids activities mentioned here are free or low-cost, and it’s clear that most kids just want to get outside and play! Blowing Rock has excellent parks, and the Blue Ridge Parkway offers so much so nearby. Come and bring the family soon!
For more on local attractions, like Tweetsie Railroad and Grandfather Mountain, click here.
Recreational services like horseback riding, ziplining, and more can be found here!