The months of May through September in North Carolina’s Prettiest Small Town sparkle with events and activities as sure to please travelers as are the mild daytime temperatures and cool nights. Surrounded by the multifaceted natural beauty of the High Country, Blowing Rock welcomes day-trippers and overnight visitors from hotter climes to its picturesque Main Street and eclectic mix of shops, restaurants and accommodations.
Selected highlights of High Season in Blowing Rock are as follows. For a complete listing of events, go to blowingrock.com/calendar.
- Free outdoor entertainment: High Season visitors will be able to take advantage of free outdoor music, movies and concerts that augment the regular attractions of Blowing Rock. Music on the Lawn at The Inn at Ragged Gardens is held each Friday evening from May through October (weather permitting), with a different band featured every week. ragged-gardens.com/music-on-the-lawn. The Movies in the Park series will feature outdoor, family-friendly (PG) films in Memorial Park that start at dusk on Thursdays June 23, July 7, July 21 and August 4. blowingrock.com/moviesinthepark. Concerts in the Park, held Sundays on Art in the Park weekends, feature artists to suit just about everyone’s musical tastes. June 12, July 17, August 14 and September 11. blowingrock.com/concertinthepark. The Monday Night Concert Series entertains in Broyhill Park with musicians performing by the lake at starting at 7p.m., Mondays from July 11 to August 8.
- New BRAHM exhibits/Art & Antique Show: The Blowing Rock Art & History Museum continually hosts rotating exhibits that feature American artists and the history of the mountain region. Family-friendly entertainment series fill the calendar, including the Concert Series, Movies at the Museum, Thursday Art & Culture talks and other weekday ways to enjoy the museum interactively. BRAHM’s annual Art & Antiques show, featuring porcelain, fine and folk art, antique furnishings, jewelry, silver and more, is July 29-31. blowingrockmuseum.org
- High Gravity Adventures: Located near Tweetsie Railroad, High Gravity Adventures is a place the whole family can experience a vertical world together, and kids as young as four are welcome to enter on the Kids’ Course. highgravityadventures.com
- Ensemble Stage: Located in the Blowing Rock Auditorium near Main Street, Ensemble Stage performances culturally enrich the lives of the residents and visitors alike by providing a broad range of high-quality live theatrical presentations at an affordable price. This summer lineup features The Melville Boys, Toyer, Visiting Mr. Green and Waiting for MacArthur. ensemblestage.com
- Art in the Park: Now in its 54th year, Art in the Park, a monthly May through October Saturday event, moves from the American Legion parking deck to Park Avenue, just off Main Street, offering visitors easier access to shops and restaurants. Dates are May 7, June 11, July 16, August 13, September 10 and October 8. blowingrock.com/artinthepark
For details of all events and activities as well as accommodations in Blowing Rock, contact the Tourism Development Authority at 877.750.4636.